The path to XOrg7
Upgrading from XOrg 6.x
Currently, the XOrg7 module needs you to do a few things manually if you upgrade from an earlier XOrg 6.x installation. You have to adhere to the following steps. If you do not listen to our advice then you're on your own.
- Remove the old XOrg
Note: XOrg conflicts with XOrg7. Thus it would've been removed anyway. But we need to do more ...
- Backup the old /etc/X11 (with your old xorg.conf)
mv /etc/X11 /etc/X11.old
- Remove the old XOrg installation remains
rm -fr /usr/X11R6
- Remove some old symlinks
Installing XOrg 7.x
For now, you may use the XOrg7 profile for it:
XOrg7 is installing to /usr by default and NOT to /usr/X11R7 or any other prefix inside /usr. The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard does not allow that. All major linux distributions are following the FHS and have adjusted their builds accordingly:
You may however set an arbitary prefix for XOrg incase you do not want it to install to /usr. You may do so by running the following command:
lunar set X11R7_PREFIX=/your/prefix/here
The most commonly used prefix would be /usr/X11R7, however, some other prefix inside /opt is entirely possible.
The XOrg7 profile is going to create some symlinks on your system:
/usr/X11 > $MODULE_PREFIX; /usr by default
/usr/X11R6 > $MODULE_PREFIX; /usr by default
The X11R6 symlink is there for compatibility reasons. Many of the older and even some of the newer packages inside the moonbase have a hardcoded path pointing to /usr/X11R6 inside their source trees. Keeping the symlink prevents them from breaking apart.
- the current NVIDIA driver doesn't support the current API changes in the font-rendering. This means you will be lacking text in your programs. Somehow gtk+-2 programs don't have this problem (though firefox does)
sollution? some have suggested that turning of the renderacceleration should work (doesn't work here). If that doesn't work i guess you'll have to use the opensource driver (xf86-video-nv).
Missing modules from the XOrg 7.x moduler tree
Despite our best efforts to give you the whole XOrg 7.x modular tree as modules to install there are still many of them left untouched either because they are not important to run a full featured X environment or nobody had the time to add them yet. As always contribution are welcome and appreciated:
- appres - list X application resource database
- lbxproxy - Low BandWidth X proxy
- luit - Convert terminal i/o from legacy encodings to UTF-8
- mkcfm - create summaries of CID font metric files
- oclock - round X clock
- proxymngr - proxy manager service
- scripts - run X command on another system via rsh
- sessreg - Register X sessions in system utmp/utmpx databases
- showfont - show information about X font from font server
- twm - simple window manager
- viewres - graphical class/resource browser for Xt
- xbiff - watch mailboxes for new message delivery
- xclipboard - X clipboard manager
- xdbedizzy - DBE sample
- xditview - display ditroff output
- xdm - list X application resource database